If you’re on this page, that probably means that you’re thinking about starting your own blog. No matter if you want to do it just for fun or you want to be a full time blogger, I’m confident to say that you’re making the right decision if you do it. In this article I’m trying to collect some reason why is it worthwhile to start your own blog, furthermore provide you with a step by step guide on how to have your site literally in minutes, with zero requirement of any special IT skills.
Are you ready to be a blogger? So let’s do it!
Before going into details about how to start your blog, let’s discuss why to start it! I have a million reasons to list, but I share with you the ones that comes up to my mind as the most important ones:
1. It improves your writing skills – It might sound trivial but let’s point this out: The more you write, the better writer you become. Isn’t it a great way to improve a skill while your doing something enjoyable?
2. It improves the way you think – This was probably the most important reason why I started blogging. Writing things down and share it to the world makes you think twice, you make some more research to prove your point etc. I believe I take more responsibility over my trades now that I share it with you guys, comparing to the times when I was investing for myself. But this statement is true for all kind of topics. You don’t have to be a financial blogger. You might want to start a blog about the wonderful life of lesser mole-rats (Spalax leucodon), the point is that you will definitely be more knowledgeable in your own niche via blogging.
3. You will connect to interesting, international people – Personally I find the most rewarding part of blogging when someone adds his/her own thought to the topic I write about. They might give you an idea that you never thought about before, you might help them by answering their question. Especially if you write your blog in English, that truly opens it to the audience of the whole world. I receive details about my audience via Google Analytics and it shows that during the first 3 months of the existence of this site there were visitors from 33 different countries. Isn’t it a wonderful way to instantly reach out everyone out there with an internet connection?
4. You can make yourself known – No matter what your niche is, you can be sure that there are people out there with the same interest. Why don’t you make yourself a name which will be known around the world in your area of interest. Going back to the previous example, if you are a self made lesser mole-rat (Spalax leucodon) expert, your thoughts might be picked up by some influential people of the area, you might be invited to the International Conference on Spalacidaes and Other Rodents etc. Make your voice heard, start a blog now!
5. It can make you money – How much, that depends on a lot of factors, mainly on the number of your visitors. This site also generates some income from the first month. The income can come from many different sources, from placing Google ads on your site to enter into partnership with other companies via an affiliate program. It might be able to cover your expenses, it might be a nice side income, or it might even generate you enough money to leave your job and become a professional blogger. The limit is the sky!
If you are convinced by now, let’s start setting up that site! I promise it will be easy, just follow the steps below!
Step 1 – Find a Web Host
There are plenty of options out there from different service providers. There are two main options out there: you can have a free host and you can chose one with a fee. Needless to say that the free options comes with a lot of compromise (in life nothing is free). They have usually slower load speeds (speed is really important if you want to increase your audience; most people just click away if the page doesn’t load in a few seconds), furthermore you will have limited or no option for placing advertisements on your site.
When I decided to start this site, it was no question for me that I will do it at a reliable web hosting company. Reading through the reviews and the experience of many other bloggers out there, I always came across the company called Bluehost. Since then I personally have a very good experience with them, they are hosting this site too and I can recommend them to you with confidence. Based on my own experience their fees can be easily covered simply from Google advertisements, which is another reason why you should invest a few dollars per month on paying to a professional web hosting company. The followings will present the sign up process via their site. If you decide to sign up with Bluehost with the below links, this site will also receive a small commission. This is not obligatory, but definitely appreciated 🙂
Step 2 – Choose Your Plan
In order to start a blog, first of all go to the Bluehost website and click on “Get Started Now”. This will take you to the following screen:
As a new blogger I would recommend choosing either the basic or the plus plan. Once your site becomes more popular and you get more serious with blogging, you might want to upgrade to prime. Simply click on your chosen option.
Step 3 – Select a Domain Name
No matter which plan you have chosen, you will get a free domain name from Bluehost. It’s almost like naming a baby, but while there can be many Johns out there, the name of your site must be unique (you can’t start another google.com). Chose a name that is easy to remember (and type) for others.
For your convenience I have added a small widget below where you can already check whether the domain name of your choice is still available. Just enter the name to the below field and press “check availability”.
Step 4 – Create Your Account
All fields here are pretty obvious. If you forget which city you live in, maybe you shouldn’t start a blog 🙂
Step 5 – Select Any Extra Options (if needed)
Personally I have chosen the domain privacy protection and the site backup pro, but the choice is up to you.
Step 6 – Enter Payment Information
Bluehost accepts payments via all major credit cards. Once this step is completed, then congratulations: you already have your very own website! So let’s fill it with some content!
Step 7 – Install WordPress
Now that you have a website, you would like to fill it with some content, right? Luckily Bluehost offers you the option to install WordPress, which is probably the most popular and easy to use publishing platform that is available out there. Installing WordPress would not cost you a single penny and I can ensure you that you will be able to use it without any programming knowledge.
Installation of WordPress is also easy. First, just click on the “Install WordPress” icon on the above screen. Then select a domain for your installation (which will be the domain name you have just created:
Then select your site name, user name and password:
Select a beautiful theme based on your taste:
Congratulations, you just started your own blog!
After following the above steps, you can start blogging in no time! I hope you have found this guidance useful. If you stuck somewhere or need some additional help, just feel free to put your question in the comment field and I will do my best to help you.
Finally, I wish you a happy and successful blogging!